Monday, September 15, 2008

"Having sew much fun with Ken(more)"






Here's Lon and I with Ken(more)and having sew much fun working on this project. I've always wanted to sew a quilt and never learned. My grandma Mortensen was an expert seamstress and had one of those foot peddle sewing machines, I remember her inviting all her RS friends over to hand sew the quilts. I won't be so creative as that, but I will try to create something for my grand kids to cherish. I found a fun quilt I want to master after I figure out what I'm doing first. Lon is a good teacher and is making me use the first lesson then the second lesson and then the third. Then I think I'll get to spread my wings and see what we can come up with for my beautiful Audrey. (Don't worry Amy, it won't be huge!) A week ago today Lon bought me Ken(more). I received everything I needed to start learning to quilt for my birthday. I didn't want to mess up the beautiful material that the Sizeloves' and my mother in law (Barbara) gave me, so I went and bought different material to practice with. I wanted to wait to show the finished product but I had Shelley so worried that I decided to reveal my "new love" and I DO LOVE my sewing projects.
Having this new love is difficult because it's a love hate relationship with Ken(more!) That "man-chine" sure can upset me! The best part about this new love is that Lon is right there sewing with me and we are both enjoying it and learning something new together. (How many grand kids get to say grandma and grandpa made them a quilt?) Sew... much fun!

10 comments:

~Janet~ said...

Too funny! It is great that you and Lon are doing this together. It is looking great!

Brooke said...

This looks like so much fun...and the finished product will be such a treasure!!!

Don N Beck said...

HOO-RAY-OOODLE-DEE-DOO!!! You go, Thompsons! I LOVE it! And I'm so glad you came out of the closet as to the nature of your new love! Love it that you're doing it together, that is WAY cool, Lon!!! And be SURE to keep posting pix along the way!

Did I say..... LOVE IT!!???

Shelley said...

All I can say is - whew! You had me going. Especially after I talked to you on the phone and you still wouldn't expose the truth. I hope you, Lon and Ken'mor' have a long, lasting love affair. Wish I could say my Singer makes my heart sing....not usually the case.

Kellie said...

hahaha!! This post is AWESOME!!!! Mom-you're SO creative and clever! I LOVE it. Plus, Shelley has me cracking up with her "singer" comment and Becky with her "hoo-ray..." comment also. Too much fun all in one post! I think it's SO cool that you and Dad are doing that together! You had me worried too!! ...or more confused than worried, really! Maybe by the time B and I have kids you'll be a PRO seamstress like your grandmother!!

Don N Beck said...

OK, I thought about Nat & Ken all day today. More to the point, Lon & Ken. Or Lon & Ken & Nat...a triangle! Sarah just ran her contest about HUSBAND HERO. With all due respect, I think these young husbands need to leave the room. Stand up, please, Lon! Yes, if this isn't the very definition of hero, of romance, of being a REAL MAN, then what is??? I mean, kayaking with the daughter, camping with the gals, now this project with the wife which will bless the granddaughter. I'm hoping that young husbands will pay attention to this, and learn by example how to build a happy family! This is a true hero story!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chiemi said...

Good job Natalie! I love my Ken(more) too! I got mine back when I graduated from high school and it's been true love ever since! Audrey is going to cherish that quilt forever!

P.S. If you ever need help you can call me!

Shelley said...

This is a shout out to Becky and her comments about you having a hero husband; and I agree....all you other guys step aside!

Natalie said...

Lon is the best of the best and I know it. I wanted to share a hero story but I can't seem to send comments to anyone except Kellie. I told you I'm still learning about all this! Although I must admit I loved the story of the husband who won the contest. What a gem!
"I've always known I had a hero in my home, but he's priceless"